Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Neglected Blog

I admit it, my blog here is neglected, but right now it's for a good reason. I've been writing, hard. I just have not had the chance to get here and throw down a post, because I've been trying to get my next eBook polished, and I've been trying to get my new WIP completed and ready for the cold weather query blitz. Oh, and I've started a totally new and different non-fiction project about my personal battles which many of you know about. Those of you who don't will...err...have to buy the book... :)

Of course, now that my WIP finally has an ending, it needs to be meticulously re-drafted. It's at 65k words now and that's pretty high for me for a just completed draft, I'm probably looking at close to 85k words which is about 10k above my usual cadence. It's a really fun book, I think it's my best work yet. But it might end up taking a back seat for a while so I can get my next eBook published. The problem there is that my free editor cannot do it, so I need another pair of editing eyes and I have to pay for it...ugh... I hate shelling out money but I hate even more trying to find a good editor. I know there are tons of great ones out there but some are so expensive. I know in most cases you get what you pay for.

My new non-fiction project is still in preliminary stages, I've written an outline but I need to read a few similar books to get some ideas on how to round it into shape. I've never attempted something so far removed from fiction, but so far it's been a smooth transition. Since I was a journalist for a long time it's not a real far stretch to write a memoir-type piece. It is basically like reporting on myself.

So I hope all my fellow writers are getting ready for query season, because I would not want it to be easy for me to snag that great agent. I like competition and...wait a second, what the hell am I saying? On second thought, none of you should send out queries, yeah that's it... in fact you should all stop writing and take up toothpick sculpture, try and go pro with that. I hear toothpick sculpture agents are wide open and seeking clients.

I hope all of you made it through Hurricane Irene unscathed. Here in Upstate NY we had a lot of rain and some heavy winds, we lost power for about 5-hours. But other than that we were okay. My friends down in NJ and NYC had it a bit worse, they had some serious floods and damage to property. So I hope all of you out there are safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment