Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kindle for Joplin

Last week severe thunderstorms knocked out power to our house in Upstate New York. We were without electricity for several days. During that time a lot of things were a hassle. The things we take for granted like running water, are very hard to live without. For the last two days of the ordeal we were lucky enough to have someone who could lend us a generator, which (just in time) saved a lot of food in our freezer that would have ended up in the garbage.


The only thing we lost, besides a couple showers, was a gallon of milk, some eggs, and a few other already questionable items from our crisper. It was hardly a disaster situation. Nevertheless, it got me thinking about the people of Joplin, Missouri. They didn’t just lose power, running water, and a gallon of milk. They lost entire neighborhoods, entire families in some cases, and entirely too much to even imagine.

My wife and I wanted to find some way to give what we could, but I've been unemployed since February, we have nothing extra to give out of pocket. I decided that the only real way to give back was through my writing. I thought if we could somehow harness the power of Kindle, we could help a little. After consulting a few sources, it seemed that 50% was the magic number.

So, for the foreseeable future, I will be giving 50% of each Kindle eBook I sell to the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation’s Joplin Relief Fund. It’s not much, but it’s what I can do. At the very least I hope it inspires other authors to do the same. Not necessarily to the same fund, since there are many in the USA that have been clobbered by wicked storms this year, but perhaps they can pick their own cause and give what they can. If you don’t want to give 50% just give 25%, every bit can help.

A few good people have already donated to the cause and I thank you. These are hard times for everyone economically; donations to all charity across the board are down. If you don’t want to buy my book, but still want to donate, click the link to the fund above and have at it. They have a form you just fill it out. For just $2.99 you can get THE SWEET SIXTEENTH, an action-laced romantic thriller for your Kindle, and give $1.50 to help those that with so little left.

No comments:

Post a Comment